We’re fast approaching that season when our phones will ring off the hook. HOTlanta is notorious for blazing hot summer weather. Having your air conditioning unit properly maintained is key to not having to sweat unnecessarily when you’re at home. You work hard, and you owe it to yourself to be able to relax when you’re home, don’t you agree.
Here are a few things you want to keep in mind to maximize your comfort this summer.
When we get to temperatures a little over 85 degrees, that’s when it starts to get ugly. Units that haven’t been well maintained have a greater likelihood to malfunction or stop working altogether. One of the main issues that will cause a problem is restricted air flow.
The indoor air units have an air filter that gets dirty over time. Often in the attic, there’s an air handler with the filters inside. If you have disposable filters that need to be replaced, you can find those at Lowe’s or Home Depot. Or, you might have the type that need to be washed. If you have a good strong flow coming through your garden hose, you can clean those filters with your water hose. Otherwise, you can carry it to a car wash and spray it out with one of those power sprayers.
Filters for Air Conditioning Maintenance
Below is an example of a washable filter.
Both indoor and outdoor filters should be cleaned or changed once every 3 months.
In reality, the frequency of filter updates depends largely on the living habits of the family, and the tidiness of the home. Some homes are dustier than others. You have to become aware of the dynamics of your home, and make adjustments accordingly.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Keep windows closed when your air conditioning is on.
- Closing window blinds during the day will improve the cooling efficiency, and cut energy costs
- Let the air conditioner do it’s work by setting your thermostat to 711-73 degrees.
- Most importantly, regular maintenance on your air conditioner can help slow down any issues and keep you cooler this summer.
Here are a few tips to help your current air conditioner last:
- Change the filters every few months. Filters can be purchased at any local hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, or Walmart.
- Clear your outdoor coils of all debris.
- Plan on having your system services before the summer months hit.
Do you have questions, or would you like to have one of our service technicians come service your air conditioning unit before it heats up? If so, give us a call.